I don't normally post, or even really talk, about this kind of stuff. However, this issue is one that I can't sit back and not doing something about.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/15/washington/15rule.html?_r=2&ref=us&oref=slogin&oref=slogin
The Bush Administration has said that the new proposal is needed to ensure that federal money does not "support morally coercive or discriminatory practices or policies in violation of federal law.” The administration said Congress had passed a number of laws to ensure that doctors, hospitals and health plans would not be forced to perform abortions.
The above article also states this:
"The proposal defines abortion as follows: “any of the various procedures — including the prescription, dispensing and administration of any drug or the performance of any procedure or any other action — that results in the termination of the life of a human being in utero between conception and natural birth, whether before or after implantation.”
I'm not even going to go into how much that angers me here. The birth control pills that I take so a) I don't get pregnant and b) don't try and bleed to death on a monthly basis? What gives these people the right to have control over MY BODY?
So far, I've sent off letters through these two links:
https://secure.prochoiceamerica.org/site/Advocacy?JServSessionIdr009=bjoyykshg1.app46b&cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=3253
and
http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/spp08sadv10?url=http://www.plannedparenthood.org/
The blogging community is seriously up in arms about this, and rightly so. The more exposure this gets, the more people will get angry, and more people will DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.
I was going to finish off by saying that I'm sorry if I've made you angry by sending this. But I'm not sorry, because strong emotions are a catalist for change.
At the core, this is not a political issue. It's not even a Women's issue. This is a Human Rights issue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Right on, sistah! Bush needs to keep his hands off our bodies.
Post a Comment